Walnut Street traces its beginnings back to the First Baptist Church of Louisville, founded in 1815, and the Second Baptist Church of Louisville, founded in 1838. The members of these two early Baptist churches joined together in 1848 to form Walnut Street Baptist Church, located in the heart of Louisville at the corner of 4th and Walnut Street. In 1902, Walnut Street Baptist Church moved to its current location at the corner of Third & St. Catherine.
Since her inception, Walnut Street has focused on meeting the call of Jesus to "make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19). Over the last 200 years, Walnut Street has planted more than 50 churches in the Louisville area, has led in developing multiple community ministries, and has held a passion for proclaiming the gospel to the nations.
To learn more about the wonderful history of Walnut Street Baptist Church,
please CLICK HERE for a document detailing the heritage of WSBC.